- Complex Commercial Matters
Bart was born on March 14, 1959 in Hollywood, Florida to J. Edward Houston and June Houston. At an early age, he was groomed to understand how powerful the law is and that your rights matter. J Edward Houston, his father and mentor was an attorney who attended Stetson Law School and went on to become not only a lawyer, but the youngest bankruptcy Judge on the bench, as well as the President of Barnett Bank. Additionally, he was a civic leader who helped modernize Broward County in the 1970s and 1980s.
J Edward, also had a powerful beginning. Born the son of Robert Houston, Dania Beach Mayor for 20 years, he knew the power of the law and rights at an early age also. J Edward learned early to be a hardworking man and he worked as an early member of the Downtown Development Authority, which encouraged such cultural landmarks as the library, museum and performing arts center. He helped push for the "bed tax" on visitors that funds Broward tourism marketing. For his efforts the Fort Lauderdale News and Sentinel, now the Sun Sentinel, gave J Edward its Broward Business Leader of the Year award in 1982, highlighting his work at Barnett and in downtown development. His smart and creative nature pushed boundaries and Bart soaked it all up like a sponge, which is why when J Edward expressed his regret at not ever having practiced law beside his son, Bart made a decision then and there to form the Houston Law Firm and practiced with his Father until his passing in 2014.
- Mercer University, Walter F. George School of Law, Macon, Georgia
- Juris Doctor - 1986
- Mercer University
- Bachelor’s Degree - 1983
- Major: Political Science
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Southern District of Florida Bankruptcy Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- “AV” rated by Martindale Hubbell